Trainers are some of the fittest—and busiest—people we know. Yet somehow they manage to keep their nutrition in tip-top shape as they run from client to class and back again.
We asked six fitspirational trainers to share their go-to protein bars and the results were pretty varied. Take a look:
1. “The texture, consistency, and simplicity of the Oh Yeah! Victory Bar takes the cake,” says Ben Williamson, IFA-certified personal trainer and owner of Crush Fit. “They’re super soft and are very light on the stomach.” Ben’s favorite flavor is the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, but the Peanut Butter Chip is a close second.
2. “Right now I’m loving the Quest Double Chocolate Chunk Bar,” says Holly Perkins, C.S.C.S., founder of Women’s Strength Nation. “I like that this flavor doesn’t use any artificial sweeteners and has a hefty dose of whey protein and very few carbs.” For a special treat, Holly likes to cut a bar in half, roll each piece into a ball, lightly coat with ghee, and bake for a few minutes. The result is like a protein bar cookie!
3. You’re not seeing double; the Oh Yeah! Victory Bar got a second shout-out! “Their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough bar is my favorite,” says Nikki Metzger, C.S.C.S., owner of BODI gym. “I love that these bars pack 21g of protein but don’t use any artificial sweeteners or flavors.”
4. “I have a whey allergy, so I look for plant-based bars that are low in sugar,” says Nike trainer Joe Holder. “Health Warrior Chia and Protein Bars fuel me up without causing any leftover fatigue or stomach troubles.” Joe’s favorite flavors are Chocolate Peanut Butter and Honey Almond.
5. “My favorite bar is the Almond Butter Perfect Food Bar,” says Rachel Cosgrove, C.S.C.S., owner of Results Fitness. “I’m always looking for a bar that’s low in sugar, high in protein, and made of whole food ingredients.”
6. “I’m loving both the Peanut Butter Orgain Plant Based Protein Bar and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Vega Protein+ Snack Bar,” says Holly Perkins, C.S.C.S., founder of Women’s Strength Nation. “I don’t usually go for vegan bars, but these taste AH-MAYZING, digest easily, and are made of clean ingredients.”
7. “Dymatize Elite Peanut Butter Protein Bar, get in my belly!” says Jake Boly, C.S.C.S., founder of Concrete Athletics. “They don’t have tons of fiber or sugar alcohols, which tend to give me digestive troubles, so they’re great when I’m on the go.”