No doubt we all love a night at home with a good book, candle-lit bath, and luxurious face mask—but the cost of department store beauty can leave us high and dry. The good news: With a little creativity—and a well-stocked kitchen—you can whip up your own similarly effective masks at barely any cost.
Here, beauty experts share the all-natural face mask recipes they rely on to keep their skin clear, healthy, and glowing. Bonus: You can find all of the ingredients in your kitchen!
1. Cooling And Reviving Cucumber-Avocado Mask
– 1 cucumber
– 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
– 1 Tbsp avocado
1. Slice the cucumber into half-inch-thick rounds and purée in the blender
2. Pour the cucumber purée into a small bowl
3. Mix in the avocado and yogurt
4. Apply the blend to your face and relax for 15 to 20 minutes
Benefits: This mask is full of healthy fats, vitamins and antioxidants, which is why it’s a favorite of professional makeup artist and SkinOwl founder, Annie Tevelin. “Avocados are great for moisturizing your skin while reducing redness and calming flare-ups,” she explains. “Cucumber is not only cooling, but it’s also chock-full of skin-boosting nutrients, including vitamin C and caffeic acid.” Since cucumbers have such high water content, they also help moisturize your skin—plus their peels contain silica, which supports supple, youthful skin. And the Greek yogurt? It contains lactic acid, which can help break down dead skin cells and minimize the appearance of pores.
2. Moisturizing Banana And Cucumber Mask
1. Blend the cucumber and banana (skin included) together in a food processor or blender
2. Stir in the honey, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil until you have a smooth consistency
3. Transfer the paste into a small bowl and use your hands to apply an even layer over a clean face and neck, avoiding the eye area
4. Lie down for 30 minutes and let the mask work into your skin
5. Wash off with lukewarm water and pat skin dry with a towel
Benefits: “Banana skin contains high amounts of vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, as well as magnesium and potassium—all fantastic ingredients for promoting clear, glowing skin,” says Tevelin. (Each of these nutrients supports cell function.) While the honey and olive oil act as humectants and keep your skin moisturized, the lemon juice helps exfoliate away dead skin cells and brighten your complexion. Tevelin loves this mask for those with dry but acne-prone skin.
3. Breakout-Banishing Face Mask
1. Brew the green tea and let cool
2. Mix the tea with raw apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and honey
3. Stir until the mixture becomes thick
4. Apply the mixture onto your face and massage gently (skip the massage if acne-prone)
5. Let sit for 10 minutes and rinse skin with warm water
Benefits: This mask is stacked with all-star ingredients. “Apple cider vinegar contains alpha hydroxy acids that exfoliate and remove dead skin cells to reveal the healthy and vibrant skin underneath,” explains Tevelin. The brown sugar also helps physically exfoliate the skin, while also locking in moisture. Meanwhile, the green tea offers antioxidants called catechins, which fight free radicals, and honey soothes skin. Tevelin recommends using this one once a week to support a clear complexion.
4. Exfoliating Brown Sugar Mask
– ¼ cup honey
– ½ cup brown sugar
– ¼ cup milk
– 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place the honey and brown sugar in a small mixing bowl and mix well
2. Mix in the extra-virgin olive oil and then the milk
3. Store in an airtight container in the fridge
Benefits: This calming mask is great for exfoliating sensitive skin, says celebrity facialist Joanna Vargas. The lactic acid from the milk helps resurface the skin, while the olive oil offers a dose of moisture, she says. Massage the mask onto skin using circular motions for a few minutes and then let it sit for an additional 10 before rinsing off.
5. Total Hydration Mask
– 2 Tbsp honey
– 2 Tbsp avocado
– 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 mango
1. Cut the mango into small cubes and mash in a small bowl
2. Add the avocado, honey, and extra-virgin olive oil and mix well with a fork
3. Apply and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes
Benefits: If you want to hydrate without risking a breakout, honey is the all-natural ingredient for you, says Vargas. “Meanwhile, avocado, with its omega 3-fatty acids and B vitamins, also helps restore the skin’s lipid layer,” she adds. Lastly, mango, which is loaded with vitamin C, brightens the skin.
6. Pigmentation Perfecting Mask
– 1 red grapefruit
– ½ cup cooked oatmeal
– 1 cup milk
1. Slice the grapefruit in half and scoop the insides into a bowl
2. Mash the grapefruit well
3. Add in the cooked oatmeal and milk and mix well
4. Apply to cleansed skin and leave on for 15 minutes
Benefits: This mask simultaneously soothes and renews. While oatmeal is famous for its soothing properties, milk both soothes and exfoliates, says Vargas. And the grapefruit, of course, is loaded with antioxidants to help renew skin. Try this one if your skin needs some TLC after a night of drinking, or just an overall pick-me-up.