The unofficial start of summertime is, well, officially here—and what better way to kick off the season than with a classic Memorial Day Weekend cookout? Whether you’re hanging in the backyard or on your fire escape, we’ve got a few delicious side dishes packed with wholesome ingredients that are sure to please every partygoer’s palette.
Simple BBQ-Ready Slaw
Coleslaw is a barbecue staple, offering the perfect balance of crunchy veggies and creamy dressing. This recipe uses organic raw honey for sweetness instead of the refined sugar found in many other recipes out there, so you can feel good knowing every bite is packed with flavor from nourishing sources.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (green and purple)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp plnt Organic Pure Raw Honey
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Thinly shred cabbage and carrots, and combine them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until creamy.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and toss to combine.
- Cover and store in the fridge overnight.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition info for one serving: 135 calories; 10 g fat, 10 g carbs (2 g fiber, 7 g sugar), 1 g protein
Red, White, and Blue Fruit Skewers with Protein Yogurt Dip
Berries practically scream summertime, offering a pop of refreshing sweetness on hot afternoons. In this skewer platter, they’re perfectly patriotic—and extra delicious when dunked into a vanilla protein dip. Talk about a satisfying snack!
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 scoop plnt Vanilla Plant Protein
- 2 Tbsp honey (optional)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup blueberries
- To make the protein yogurt dip, combine yogurt, protein, and honey (if desired). Mix until smooth and creamy.
- For the first 4 fruit skewers, skewer 5 blueberries, then alternate slices of strawberry and banana for the remainder of the skewer.
- For the next 4 fruit skewers, alternate slices of strawberry and banana only. Arrange the skewers from left to right on a rectangular serving tray to create the look of an American flag.
- Serve the skewer platter with protein yogurt dip. Enjoy!
Nutrition info for one skewer with protein yogurt dip: 95 calories; 2 g fat, 17 g carbs (2 g fiber, 12 g sugar), 3 g protein
Patriotic Protein S’mores Dip
Want to enjoy all the sticky, sweet goodness of s’mores but don’t have a fire pit for classic marshmallow roasting? Cast iron skillet to the rescue! This s’mores dip gets a little extra something-something from blueberries and raspberries, plus a protein boost from chocolate protein whisked into the thick, creamy chocolate sauce. When your MDW crew is ready for a snack, just pop this skillet and Graham crackers onto the middle of the table and enjoy!
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 scoops plnt Chocolate Plant Protein
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Graham crackers, for serving
- In an 8-inch cast iron skillet, heat the coconut cream and chocolate chips.
- Stir for one to two minutes until fully melted, then remove from heat.
- Whisk in protein until no lumps remain.
- Top with blueberries, raspberries, and marshmallows to create a patriotic display.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for five minutes until the marshmallows are browned.
- Serve with graham crackers and berries for dipping. Enjoy!
Nutrition info for one serving: 250 calories; 10 g fat, 36 g carbs (3 g fiber, 20 g sugar), 6 g protein